Saturday, September 25, 2010

Stink bugs, Lucy, shopping confusion, and other stuff

1. Stink bug invasion time - The beginning of fall means stink bugs try to get in your house. They're freaky looking and I do not like them. They're kind of clumsy, flying cockeyed and off balance. It looks like it's flying towards your knee, then it goes right for your head. ACK! One flew on my back the other night and hitched a ride in the house. Luckily I found it and put it back outside. Not sure if this is a North East pest or more widespread, so here is a link: http://ento.psu.edu/extension/factsheets/brown-marmorated-stink-bug

2. Had to take Lucy to the vet on Tuesday. Someone tried to take a bite out of her right hip and she's missing about a quarter size of skin, with a second puncture wound nearby. She's on antibiotics and can't go outside. Vet wants the wound to heal on it's own, so until it closes more than half way she stays inside. Can't risk flies laying eggs in the wound (sorry for the visual). Lucy was my Dad's cat and for the most part is a good little girl -- except for taking medicine. She acts like I'm trying to kill her. If I wasn't the one trying to get the dose inside her twice a day it'd be pretty funny. But I am, so its not.

Interesting side note about Lucy - she's a calico and the vet shaved around the wound. Where her fur is black, her skin is black. Where her fur is orange, her skin is orange. And white fur has white skin. I had no idea. I assumed she had one skin tone.

3. So happy football season is here, but it is bittersweet as my Dad loved football so much. I can't think of football without thinking of him. I miss him so much.

4. 3 months til Christmas. GAH!

5. What are people watching this new TV season? There is nothing new I want to spend my nights watching, or at least nothing that seems to have caught my fancy. I was thinking of "The Event" but missed the first episode. Anyone recommend it? Anything else worth watching? I am happy The Big Bang Theory has moved to 8pm.

6. My county just switched to single stream recycling. No more separating the plastics and glass from the paper; and then remembering which week was paper and which was plastics. I just dump it all into my nifty rolling bin and take it to the curb.

7. The local Wal-Mart is renovating AGAIN. This is the 3rd reno in 10 years. The last time was to add a grocery section. Now they are changing the entire layout of the store. I went yesterday to get cat food and the shelves were cleared out. The pet food is now where the shoes used to be - go figure. I just survived the Target getting completely renovated and changed (they too added a grocery section) and it still doesn't feel like the same store. When I'm in my local Target it feels like I'm in one on the other side of the country -- it just doesn't feel like my Target. I'm sure I'll cope, but you know how us oldtimers don't care for change.

8. I just got a spiffy new blender and I can't wait to make something yummy. The issue is clearing a space on my extremely limited countertop. If I keep the blender in a cabinet, I'll never use it. And I really want to make something yummy. Any recipes?

9. I walked right into the edge of the bathroom door this morning. My left cheek absorbed most of the blow. The door is fine. My cheek is fine. I was worried I'd get a bruise, but it looks like all is well. Who walks right into a door? How did I do that? And I wasn't drunk or asleep. I was leaving the bathroom after taking a shower. Sheesh.

6 Comments:

Blogger Bravie said...

We do not get stink bug invasions. If we did, I would move to where they do not. I remember the invasion of ladybugs at Weltek's house. That was a bit scary for me but I survived.
Awwww, poor Lucy. That is strange about her skin. Poopy was half calico and we used to shave her (just for fun) and she had one skin tone.
Michelle watched The Event and said she liked it. I told her I don't want to invest my time for the next 5 years being frustrated like with Lost.
Do you watch Hot in Cleveland? We laugh our asses off at every episode. I highly recommend that one.

9/26/2010 10:50 AM  
Blogger yvonne said...

I don't want to alarm you, but we get the ladybug invasion too. I'd rather deal with ladybugs than stink bugs.

I have't watched Hot in Cleveland. What network is that on? Sometimes I think it's just easier to buy something on DVD after it has been on a few years. I'm so sick of getting hooked on a show and then it gets cancelled midway through the year. I will NEVER forgive Fox for the Firefly fiasco. Oh! They did the same thing to Reunion. AND!!! Wonderfalls too. Stupid Fox.

9/26/2010 11:54 AM  
Blogger kim (weltek) said...

We do not get stink bugs. It's Asian Beetle season here (see bravie's post), as they come when the soybean harvest happens. We saw soybean harvesting this weekend. Also, box elder bugs are coming out. Those at least don't get in the house like those sneaky asians.

Ali has multi toned skin, too. The orange isn't so noticeable, though.

Our big boxes also seem to constantly undergo renovations. We are getting a big new Target close to my work. This pleases me, as it's otherwise inconvenient for me to stop at a big box after work.

The Defenders seems like it will be worthwhile. Haven't watched much else. OT has a good thread right now under "Deathwatch."

9/27/2010 1:24 PM  
Blogger Swami said...

1. Our neighbors get box elder bug invasions & I have heard of the stink bug in other nearby neighborhoods. We get spider invasions, luck us!

2. Owie! Poor Lucy. Our black calico cat had mottled skin too.

3. I'm not a fan anymore.

4. What? I can't hear you.

5. I like The Event and also Haven. Hot in Cleveland is hilarious because of excellent actresses more than excellent scripts. (It's on Lifetime.) I liked Hawaii 5-O.

7. I hate when stores remodel and you can't find anything without a major search. I don't want to walk up & down every aisle. I want a quick in & out event!

9. I have walked into closed doors in the dark once or twice. Why do people close doors that are supposed to be open? I whack my big toe on door edges regularly.

Up above I forgot to laugh at Bravie when she said she shaved her pussy just for fun. I miss Bravie.

10/01/2010 12:33 PM  
Blogger Puffy said...

We don't get stink bugs. I checked each hotel I was at recently for bed bugs, though.

I wish my cat would shed the black fur on the black stuff and the white fur on the white stuff, including on my clothes.

TV...I'm trying a few new sitcoms like Outsourced, Mike and Molly, and Better with You, My Generation, and, due to my location, Law and Order (or CSI, don't remember which one) Los Angeles. I loved Hot in Cleveland, but it's over now. It was a summer series on the TVLand channel. I also liked the Great American Food Truck Race, but it was only on during the summer. I watch the Apprentice, Survivor, the Office, Desperate Housewives, Rules of Engagement, the Middle, Modern Family, and a bunch of shows on The Learning Channel.

We put all our recyclables in one barrel, too. The yard trimmings also go in their separate barrel.

I don't like when stores renovate and move everything around. Especially Wal-Mart.

How's your cheek? How're all of your cheeks?

10/06/2010 3:13 PM  
Blogger Silvergirl said...

Bravie is so lucky not to have stink bugs! They have been plaguing us for quite a while now. Darren keeps a spray bottle of water with dish detergent on the front porch, and sprays all of the bugs who are hanging by our front door to keep them at bay. Other people have completely caulked their windows shut to keep them out, but we like to open our windows for fresh air.

I think it's funny about Lucy's skin being the same color as her fur. I hope she heals and recovers well.

Frederick county has had mixed recycling for at least s year, and I like it so much better.

I walked out of my bathroom yesterday, and somehow, walked into Dusty's claw, which felt just like a nail going into my foot. There was blood, but the pain did not last, so it was minor. Dusty was unscathed.

10/07/2010 2:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home