Sunday, September 19, 2010

Finally!

Three shredders
Fifty one years of marriage
12 months of random shredding and I'm finally done!

This morning I shredded the final piece of paper sitting in the "to be shredded box". I never thought I would see the bottom of that dang box. My mom saved everything. She had credit card statements from the 70's, warranties for things that had been thrown away years ago, and sales receipts that were so old the ink was faded and I had no clue what had been purchased.

After I burned out the second shredder I invested in a serious heavy duty one (almost $100) and it has been worth every penny. It would shut down once it got overheated, but after a nice rest it was ready to go again. I am sure the cats will be grateful I am done with this very loud project.

To be fair, not all the paperwork I shredded was just my parents'...I had some things in there too. But I make this pledge today - I will never again let the "to be shredded box" overflow.

If there is one thing I know for sure...I will not be saving my Capital One statements for decades.

4 Comments:

Blogger kim (weltek) said...

Congrats! Thank goodness for so much online statement stuff these days. Your post made me think about why in the world I save ALL the cat's vet records. I really only need the most recent and make ones about big mishaps (e.g., Ali's knee surgery).

9/20/2010 11:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Our shredder blew up, and we need a new one. I have been hand-tearing everything. Every time I say, "I'm going to get a new shredder today." And I never do it.

9/21/2010 10:59 AM  
Blogger Swami said...

We have a basement full of stuff like that. As a CPA, Mr Swami likes to keep a paper record of just about everything financial. I guess some day our kids will have the task of dealing with it all.

Why didn't you just have a big bonfire?

9/21/2010 12:41 PM  
Blogger Bravie said...

I gave up on shredding and threw it all in the recycle bin. I figure if someone wants to steal my identity they are really just going to get stuck with a bunch of bills and not much money. So have at it.

9/26/2010 10:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home