Saturday, June 12, 2010

For Kim...

Kim asked for flower photos..


Calla lilies under the front picuture window. I have two bunches, and am thrilled that they keep coming back each spring. Calla lilies should be dug up each fall, but these are so close to the house that they survive the winter. Will plant a ton more this fall. Love them!

A view from the southeast corner of the house. This gets full on sun each day and the rose bush seems to do well. I planted it last summer in Dad's honor. He loved roses. Just behind the rose bush is my lavender that has been there forever. I don't even remember when it was planted (I think before I moved to Florida in 1996). Right in front of the rose is a japanese maple (it was a freebie! It just started growing from seed so I left it there -- might have to relocate it in a few years, but for now it likes this spot). You can see the back deck here. After the second blizzard in February the snow was piled above the top of the railing after I had shoveled all the snow off the deck. Not fond memories.
This is a close up of just to the left and below the rose bush. The japanese maple is to the right. The darker red plant is yarrow (LOVE yarrow! -- it blooms all summer long), and the yellow is tickseed. Just behind and between the tickseed and yarrow is my favorite flower of all time...lantana. This one is a yellow/orange/red combo. LOVE IT! You can also see a few sprigs of lavender popping up.



Another new rose bush. This is a climbing rose called "pinata". It starts out yellow/pink, then morphs into orange then red. It's gorgeous. I should have taken a picture when I planted it last month, but forgot to. Roses bloom better in cooler weather, so normally the first bloom in spring, then the last one in September have the best colors.


More of the pinata rose...

I planted orange/red lantana and a salmon/reddish small pansy right in front of the rose. This area is just to the left of the back deck, and just to the right of the lavender and yellow rose bush shown above.


My chore today is to mulch. Or maybe that will be tomorrow's chore. I've told Breezy the last three weekends I was going to mulch. LOL! I'm a big ole liar. Hopefully this weekend I'll be telling the truth. Maybe.
More pics to come!

5 Comments:

Blogger Breezy said...

Ooooh the yarrow is beautiful, I need to get some of that.

6/14/2010 10:48 AM  
Blogger Swami said...

I love your gardens, Yvonne! So pretty!

I love lantana too but for some reason I rarely grow it. It makes a great hanging basket too.

My garden is kinda between seasons now. Spring bloomers have petered out and the early summer stuff is yet to pop.

6/14/2010 11:30 AM  
Blogger yvonne said...

Breezy - I have three different yarrows in the yard. I'll have to post pics of the other two.

Swami - we're at the point here were it is going to be too hot to plant anything, so now it's more maintanence. The heat index this weekend was up to 100 degrees. Sweltering!

6/14/2010 5:47 PM  
Blogger kim (weltek) said...

My garden is also bland now, like Swami's. I was thinking of visiting our local grower and asking for some perennial recommendations for something that blooms in the spring and has long lasting color. Yarrow is a thought.

I'm anti planting annuals this year. I have one big pot to fill and that's all I'm doing.

Hmmm, I love calla lilies, too, but refuse to dig bulbs. I wonder if they'd survive in a sunny spot close to the house over the winter if I mulched really well.

6/16/2010 9:21 AM  
Blogger kim (weltek) said...

Oh, and thank you. :-)

6/16/2010 9:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home