Monday, March 29, 2010

Dang it!

My sump pump died this morning. Thankfully it was a very loud death or else I would not have realized it and gone to work. For those of you who do not have basements, a dead sump pump is a bad thing, especially when it's raining. Like today.

They installed a temporary one and will come back Wednesday to make it permanent. This will involve making the sump well larger as the current one is extremely insufficent. I'm told jackhammers will be involved. Yippee. I'm sure the cats will all need to be on valium by the time they are finished. Which is supposed to take all day.

*sigh*

5 Comments:

Blogger Breezy said...

Will the cats share their valium with you?

3/29/2010 7:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL at Breezy!

What will the cats' thoughts be on that day?

3/30/2010 9:00 AM  
Blogger Swami said...

Oh, good thing you heard it go! Our sump pump too does heroic work every now and then.

Poor kitties. They will probably be afraid of entering the basement for weeks.

Did you know that sump pumps are HUGE power sucks? They are the most energy-inefficient & costly to operate thing in your house when they are running. I read that somewhere so it must be true...

3/30/2010 10:39 AM  
Blogger yvonne said...

Breezy, if the cats get valium, I get it too!

Boo - The cats will all be thinking the world is ending. I'm hoping the rain is done and the sun comes out so they can spend some of their day outside. My ears are ringing now just thinking about the noise.


Swami - I'm sure it does cost a lot to keep the basement dry. The house is halfway up a low hill, so most of the runoff comes past us. When it rains a lot, or when two blizards worth of snow melts, the pump runs 24/7. The nice plumber guy (who costs $44 for 30 minutes, thankyouverymuch) told me this new model is more efficient, but I'm sure it isn't Energy Star.

3/30/2010 5:51 PM  
Blogger kim (weltek) said...

*hugs* I know this all too well. During the floods (oh my gosh, I can't remember if that was last spring or two years ago!) by our house, we had our sump pump burn out because it was running soo much. We came home to a dead sump and an inch of water in the basement. We had to go buy another pump and we ended up getting a portable pump, too, that we could add in for a second pump if flooding was ever again an issue.

3/31/2010 9:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home