Sunday, January 31, 2010

Stupid weather forecasters!

I'm heading out to shovel 6 inches of snow off the driveway, sidewalk and back deck. The storm that was supposed to stay way south of us yesterday *waves to Boo* and perhaps give us snow flurries actually dumped at least 6 inches over my area of Maryland (Baltimore area).

As late as yesterday morning they (Weather Channel, local newscasts) all said we'd get snow flurries in the late afternoon and might have one inch by Sunday morning. It started snowing at 11am and didn't stop until around 8pm. At 11am I headed out to Target to get a prescription refilled, then wanted to stop at the grocery store for my normal weekend excursion.

I spent 5 minutes at Target and drove across the street to the grocery store. Spent about 20 minutes at the grocery store and when I walked outside it was snowing so hard you couldn't see 20 feet in front of you. In 20 minutes we had gotten the one inch total they had predicted for the entire day. It took me 30 minutes to drive 3 miles home, then when I got to my street they were not letting people into my neighborhood.

To get on my street you have to take a right turn from the main road, then you immediately drive up a very twisty, steep hill. If the hill has not been salted it becomes a slip-n-slide of terror. In the many years my family has lived here I have seen countless cars spin, twist, and pummel each other trying to drive up or down that hill. When a snow storm is predicted my county is very good about pre-salting most roads, but since this one was totally blown by everyone, the salt trucks were not out.

Since I have a four wheel drive vehicle, I asked the nice police officer if I could try to get up the hill. I had waited at the bottom for about 10 minutes and the salt truck wasn't there yet. He told me I could try if I wanted, but I knew if I took out the Kirby's mailbox he wasn't going to be too pleased (not to mention the Kirbys). Off I went. Not one bit of trouble! I love my Ford Escape.

Home at last. Now I have to shovel. Ugh.

Is it spring yet?

5 Comments:

Blogger Breezy said...

Gah, I wish it was spring already.

2/01/2010 2:23 PM  
Blogger Puffy said...

I'd have no patience for weather like that. I thought of you a few days ago when I heard a comedian say that the Octomom is like a crazy cat lady, only she collects babies.

2/02/2010 2:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The news says we only got 12.8. I'd say we got 15 at the house. What a fricking mess. And yes, I do love 4-wheel drive, but it's still a mess. We had to grocery shop on Saturday, and it took us a while to get home because of idiots who don't have 4-wheel drive.

More is coming tonight and this weekend.

2/02/2010 9:11 AM  
Blogger yvonne said...

Yes, Boo...we're supposed to get another 6 inches tonight, and another storm this weekend. What did we do to deserve this horror???

*moans*

2/02/2010 6:03 PM  
Blogger yvonne said...

and Puffy? Collecting cats is better than collecting babies. *grin*

2/02/2010 6:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home