Sunday, July 19, 2009

Lantana mania

I am officially obsessed with lantanas. If you can get them in your area I highly recommend you plant them in your yard.

Small flower bed to the right of the front door -- pink/yellow lantana with pansies behind it.

Flower bed to the left of the front door -- yellow/orange lantana with impatiens and pansies.
Back of the house - pink/yellow lantana. I have lavender in between the plants but didn't take a picture of the lavender as it's not very big yet.
South side of the house -- hot pink/yellow lantanas
South side of the house -- hot pink/orange/yellow
For a change of pace, here is part of a planter I have at the front door. I love the mixture of the lime green sweet potato vine, bright purple petunias, and the pink geranium. The other plant in the container is a purple fountain grass. The geranium is in a separate container. It's three years old. I bring the geranium in when the weather gets cold. Geraniums are considered annuals, but if you don't let them freeze they should live for a while.
Along the back deck -- purple liatris and black eyed susansBlack eyed susans -- the official flower of the state of Maryland

8 Comments:

Blogger Puffy said...

All those beautiful flowers make me feel relaxed and at peace. Gorgeous.

7/19/2009 6:04 PM  
Blogger Bravie said...

It's officially summer...Augie has posted her purty flower pictures. :)

7/20/2009 11:17 PM  
Blogger Glowie said...

yay! I always love seeing your pretty flowers.

7/21/2009 2:12 PM  
Blogger Swami said...

Your garden photos are always so lovely. I love lantana but for some reason have never bought any for myself. I think they are not hardy in MN & are usually sold in hanging baskets. Does that sound right?

7/21/2009 7:16 PM  
Blogger kim (weltek) said...

I'm so glad you finally posted some purty flower pics. I love sweet potato vine for the big pop of green next to purples and pinks.

I need some black eyed susans. I'm coming to your house.

Lantanas have always piqued my interest. I have a friend that has some and I hinted I'd like a chunk if it spreads too much.

7/22/2009 4:22 PM  
Blogger yvonne said...

*waves to all the flower peepers*

Swami -- Here in Maryland lantanas are mostly sold for beds, not so much in hanging baskets. They are very drought resistant, so I think they prefer the hotter Maryland weather as opposed to your Minnesota summers.

Kim -- I'll gladly give you some of my black eyed Susans. They have a habit of spreading, so I'm always trying to control them.

The interesting thing about lantanas is they are more herby/spicey smelling than floral smelling. It's kind of an odd scent, and on some days I think it smells more spicey, and other days more herby.

One more thing -- I have deer poop in my yard. I took pictures of it, so look for a blog update soon. *grin*

7/22/2009 8:47 PM  
Blogger Breezy said...

I have a hanging basket of orange ones.

7/27/2009 11:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your pictures too.

Am I the only one who initially read you title as "Latina" Mania? I thought you were getting ready to do a hot salsa!

7/29/2009 8:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home