Saturday, February 03, 2007

Why?

Why do complete strangers feel the need to talk to me, tell me things I do not care to hear about?

I'm at the dealership yesterday, getting my car's oil changed. I brought a book to read, water to drink, and was settled in a seat in the customer's lounge. Quietly reading my book, this doofus comes into the lounge, and immediately asks me what I did to "break" my car. *sigh* Oil change, I tell him, then I stick my nose right back into my book. Did he pick up on that not-so subtle hint? Nope. He proceeds to tell me all about his past and current car troubles. I try to be polite and nod and look up once in a while during his boring story. Soon (but not soon enough) he exhausted the boring dead battery story so he asks me who I hope wins the Super Bowl. I tell him I don't care who wins, because I really don't. "You don't like football?". Grrrrrr. Yes, I like football, I tell him, I just don't care who wins.

Then he explains to me which two teams are playing (because as a female I certainly wouldn't know) and that the Colts used to play in Baltimore (NO! Really???). At this point I slowly look up from my book give him a look that--I hope--said Shut Up You Idiot Moron And Leave Me Alone So I Can Read My Book.

Thankfully the service manager came in and got him before I searched my purse for something to stab into his heart. I think my fine point Pilot pen would have worked just fine.

15 Comments:

Blogger arkie said...

So, who do you hope wins? *grin*

2/03/2007 4:48 PM  
Blogger Monstah said...

Chowderhead.

Study this line and use it when you see fit: "Je ne parle pas anglais. Je suis desole."

2/04/2007 7:37 AM  
Blogger thndrkttn said...

I am so glad I am not the only one that feels this way. It's even worse on a plane where you can't physically get away from the person. Headphones and ipods are great for this. :)

2/04/2007 11:51 AM  
Blogger Puffy said...

Augie, did you see Keith Urban perform Saturday night on PBS? It was a benefit for Music Cares, honoring James Taylor.

2/04/2007 11:28 PM  
Blogger Breezy said...

*giggle* You should have asked him one of our daily trivia questions.

2/05/2007 9:21 AM  
Blogger Lasann said...

Why do people I do know need to tell me things I don't want to hear?

2/05/2007 10:48 AM  
Blogger Aislinn Sirk said...

People don't talk to me much.

Maybe I look scary?

2/05/2007 11:51 AM  
Blogger Swami said...

If you sit in a corner with a book you may mark yourself as a listening object. Some people assume you want to be drawn out of your shell and into their fascinating world which is all about them and their pointless lives.

At least this is better than sharing the room with a moron who whips out their cell phone and has a long, loud, completely boring conversation. Well, I think it is.

2/05/2007 2:21 PM  
Blogger ~Nutz said...

Oh, I just love my fine point Pilot pens! ...and now? I find they are useful for more than just writing! *grin*

2/05/2007 4:42 PM  
Blogger yvonne said...

*noogie* for Arkie. :-)

Monsty -- I actually know what that says. Apparently my high school French has not completely left me.

Tkit - I almost took my iPod with me, but I really wanted to finish my book.

Puffy - I did not see my man, but do you know he will be on Saturday Night live this week? *hops*

Breezy - I think if I acutally engaged him in conversation he might have followed me home. *shudder*

*hugs* for Lasann. :-)

Bob - do you carry around a bomb kit? that might prohibit random conversation. Which is not a bad thing, ya know.

Swami -- I'm not sure this knucklehead knew what a book was.

*high fives Nutzy* I love my Pilot fine points! Love them!

2/05/2007 5:25 PM  
Blogger kim (weltek) said...

I feel for you. I seriously do. Kind of like the lady at Target the other night. Chris and I were looking at canned cat food (for the constipated kitty). A woman comes from three aisles over to show us a dog outfit. She thought it was cute and had to show someone. I asked if she owned a dog. She didn't.

2/06/2007 12:50 PM  
Blogger Coco said...

Poor Augie. Di you want to hear about the kids' new cute habits? :D

Nutzy, the part about the fine-point Pilot pen jumped out at me too- so much so that that was what I first retained.

2/07/2007 10:28 AM  
Blogger Bravie said...

Please switch over to new Blogger. *sigh*

2/08/2007 5:54 PM  
Blogger Bravie said...

*ihg* I asked nicely. Please switch over. *grin*

2/09/2007 2:13 AM  
Blogger Aislinn Sirk said...

Could be the bomb kit.

I also thought it was the fuming sulphuric acid dissolving the floor behind me, but it could be the bomb kit.

2/09/2007 11:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home