Thursday, January 04, 2007

Augie's Law

You've heard of Murphy's Law, right? It's something to the effect of "whatever can go wrong, will go wrong."

Today at work I created Augie's Law. Or should I say I had a revelation and named it Augie's Law.

(If I were you people, I'd note what I was were wearing, what time it is, etc., because trust me, you are going to want to remember for the rest of your days what you were wearing and where you were when you heard this gem)

*ahem*

*gets all important and stuff*

Augie's Law: "One will get the busiest and most stressed out in the last hour of work before a weekend or holiday or day off"

Why do people wait ALL DAY and then decide they have a matter of THE UTMOST IMPORTANCE that must be done IMMEDIATELY right before Augie is leaving for the day? And of course they preface their very MOST IMPORTANT email with 'please get back to me immediately'. Immediately? Or what? You'll implode? Heck, I'd like to see that.

So, I find out this issue has been brewing since last week, yet it didn't become the MAJOR EMERGENCY until the end of the day, which is also the end of my work week. Well, in my book that means your emergency goes to the bottom of my list because I am dealing with people who actually have decided to give me more than an hour to try to figure out a solution. Stupid nitwits. Grrrrrrrrrr.

Speaking of solutions, I have a solution to Augie's Law. I'm calling it Augie's Solution (my cleverness knows no bounds, people).

Augie's Solution: "Upon entering your last hour of work for the day, and especially the last hour of work for the week, do not answer the phone, do not open emails from co-workers, do not look up from your desk. Ignore everyone. They will eventually go away."

20 Comments:

Blogger Bravie said...

Not only do you not open, answer, look or anything else, you should rub your belly and say out loud "Oh goodness, I hope this chili doesn't pick this moment to explode out of my body"
Oh yes my sistah, this works and it works well. *grin*

1/04/2007 6:50 PM  
Blogger Coco said...

Perhaps try a lot of pooting? It would form a barrier between you and the outside world.

1/04/2007 7:27 PM  
Blogger Schnookie said...

Better yet, just don't go to work.

I tell ya, it happens to me ALL THE TIME. Guaranteed I'll be the busiest ever the day before a holiday or going on vacation.

1/04/2007 8:17 PM  
Blogger Puffy said...

I totally agree with Augie's law and especiallly with Augie's solution.

1/04/2007 9:53 PM  
Blogger momma said...

I thought that was MY law.

1/04/2007 11:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well said Augie. Well said.

1/05/2007 8:56 AM  
Blogger Zombs said...

Now if I could just get the kids to understand this....:)

1/05/2007 9:21 AM  
Blogger Glowie said...

I am wearing my favorite black pants and my favorite striped shirt (it is white with black, tan and blue stripes).

1/05/2007 9:48 AM  
Blogger Lasann said...

Ah yes, this law is true. And the solutions is perfect.

I'm closing my e-mail 1 hour before quitting time for the rest of the year.

Count that one resolution!

1/05/2007 10:35 AM  
Blogger Swami said...

Tom phones customer service lines all the time on holidays. Usually it is not an issue because he winds up talking to someone in Bangalore, India.

I like the poot defense idea. Also, give as good as you get and say you need more info immediately. "I would love to stay late and help you on this Holiday weekend but I need more details. Please send ASAP." Get the ASAP info request messages all ready and then send them after you have put your coat on to leave.

1/05/2007 10:49 AM  
Blogger ~Nutz said...

Oooh! I like Augie's solution.

*waits for the sound of imploding heads*

*grin*

1/05/2007 11:55 AM  
Blogger kim (weltek) said...

let's start a website called augieslaw.com. People can post their augieslaw experiences!

1/05/2007 1:00 PM  
Blogger Bravie said...

I'm eating a hardboiled egg at my desk and everyone who walks into my office says it smells like a fart. They then turn quickly and leave. Try the hard boiled egg approach. So far it's working.

1/05/2007 1:16 PM  
Blogger kim (weltek) said...

So, I can blame a hard boiled egg for my recent stinkiness? *sprinkles egg shells on desk and leaves them there*

1/05/2007 2:20 PM  
Blogger Breezy said...

*giggle* All hail Augie's law!

1/05/2007 2:29 PM  
Blogger Monstah said...

I know I posted here. Where the heck did it go? Anyhoo, I have the perfect job for us! We can work for Ralph and decide which color polo dudes go on which color shirt!baby

1/05/2007 5:47 PM  
Blogger lights said...

Augie's Law struck this afternoon just as I was about to walk out the door. The head of our Emergency Response Team came into my office and NEEDED to know where we bought our firefighter's suits. When I asked how long ago they were purchased he said about 15 years ago. I've only been here 9 months! HTF am I supposed to know where they bought something 15 freaking years ago! Needless to say, I was late getting away tonight. *sigh*

If only I'd had the Augie Solution.

1/05/2007 7:12 PM  
Blogger Zombs said...

Augie Slaw tastes good on a summer day with some fried chicken.

*waits for summer day*

1/05/2007 9:48 PM  
Blogger yvonne said...

Broccoli is a good defense too, but that usually only works at lunch. It would be a little odd to eat broccoli the last hour of the day.

I was thinking in case I didn't have bad gas at the end of the day I would just get a big honkin' can of OUST and spray it randomly in my cubicle, saying "oops" and "excuse me" and "mercy, what did I have for lunch?". *grin*

And Zombie? It's supposed to be 70 degrees today. I think summer has come about 6 months too early.

1/06/2007 7:42 AM  
Blogger Bravie said...

When are you posting about vaginas?

1/09/2007 4:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home