Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Vera

Born on a farm in Pennsylvania 81 years ago, Vera was one of 13 children. She moved to Baltimore with her sister Vada after she graduated from high school. It was the early 40's and she became a welder in the shipyards supporting the war effort. Yep, Vera was a Rosie the Riveter.

She met her future husband Virgil on a blind date and they married 6 months later. They had two children, two grandchildren, and 51 years of marriage. She was an Army wife and packed up a two year old and a three month old and moved the family to Germany with no complaints. She endured Virgil's extended absence when he was stationed in Korea for a year and she was left at home with an 8 year old and a 6 year old. Virgil was a soldier when she met him and she knew being an Army wife wouldn't be easy but she didn't care. She loved Virgil.

She also loved to read, travel, do puzzles, laugh -- her favorite movie was "A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum". She was a kick ass bowler and won several medals with the Maryland Senior Olympics and the US National Senior Olympics. Most importantly she loved her family.

She survived breast cancer and multiple myeloma. She struggled with Alzheimer's at the end but never complained, even when she wasn't sure where she was or who she was with.

Vera was my mom.

Vera died yesterday. I had the honor of being by her side when she finally decided it was time to go. I miss the mom I had before the Alzheimer's. I miss the mom I had after the Alzheimer's. But right now she is not in pain, she is not confused, and she is surrounded by love and for that I am truly thankful.

Goodbye Mom. You were the best. I love you.

28 Comments:

Blogger Bravie said...

That is beautiful Augie. I know you are going to miss her physical being. Thank God you will always have the memory of her in your heart.
I love you my friend and my sistah.
*hugs*

12/20/2006 8:28 AM  
Blogger Swami said...

*hugs* for Augie. Your mom sounds like a very special person.

12/20/2006 8:58 AM  
Blogger momma said...

Truly beautiful, Augie. *hugs* and *love* to you and your dad. It's never easy, but hopefully knowing she is at peace and was loved will help ease your pain a bit.

12/20/2006 9:13 AM  
Blogger Debcapsfan said...

RIP. She sounds like a wonderful woman. What a lovely tribute.
*hugs and love*

12/20/2006 9:36 AM  
Blogger Schnookie said...

So beautiful Augie. *BIG HUGS*

RIP Vera.

12/20/2006 9:43 AM  
Blogger Glowie said...

*hugs* This is beautiful. My heart goes out to you and your family.

RIP Vera

12/20/2006 9:50 AM  
Blogger Geggy said...

That is a wonderfully loving tribute, Augie. Your mom was a special person. My most heartfelt sympathies to you and yours.

{{hugs}}

12/20/2006 10:05 AM  
Blogger Puffy said...

With tears in my eyes, I give you my deepest condolences and hugs. Your memories will support you through the roughest of times. You're lucky to have had her for your mom (She was lucky to have you, too).Please tell your dad of our affection and sympathy, too.

By the way, I like the "V" names: Vera, Virgil and Vada.

12/20/2006 11:21 AM  
Blogger kim (weltek) said...

*hugs* That was beautiful. Your mother and you obviously share some of the same wonderful qualities.

12/20/2006 11:31 AM  
Blogger Breezy said...

Oh Augie, that was beautiful. Just beautiful. *smooch*

12/20/2006 1:57 PM  
Blogger Zombs said...

*hugs*

I am very glad that you got to be there with her. It is a very special gift when that happens. I wish peace for her and for you and the rest of your family.

That was a lovely tribute and she raised a beautiful daughter.

12/20/2006 3:07 PM  
Blogger Monstah said...

that was such an honor to read. thanks so much for sharing it with us. for some reason, all i could think of while reading it was about the "flock of hope" you donated as a gift through heiffer.org. your mom gave the world a gift of hope when she gave the gift of life to you. you are your mother's best tribute and it is an honor to have you as my dear friend. when we finally meet for that cup coffee i would love to see a picture of her and to hear more about her.

12/20/2006 7:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

*hugs* to you Augie Doll. That was very beautiful.

12/21/2006 8:59 AM  
Blogger arkie said...

*hugs* My sincerest condolences, Augie.

12/21/2006 10:19 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

Oh, Augie. *hugs* I send my love and condolences to you and your family.

12/21/2006 10:41 AM  
Blogger ~Nutz said...

{{{hugs}}} to you and your family, Augie.

12/21/2006 2:11 PM  
Blogger mtw said...

Oh, Augie. *hugs* to you. That was touching. Alzheimer's is such a cruel disease to everyone involved. I hope she didn't suffer horribly or for long.

How nice that you could be with her to tell her goodbye.

12/21/2006 5:41 PM  
Blogger mm said...

{{hugs}}

You have my thoughts and condolences, Augie.

12/22/2006 1:45 AM  
Blogger Lasann said...

*smooch* Augie. That was very sweet.

Happy Holiday!

12/22/2006 2:29 PM  
Blogger Surveysez said...

It wouldn't hurt so much if we didn't love so much, but how much poorer we would be.

I'm sorry.

12/24/2006 11:34 AM  
Blogger Bravie said...

Merry Christmas, Augie.

12/25/2006 9:06 AM  
Blogger lights said...

Oh Augie. I'm so very sorry for the loss of you dear Mother. What beautiful words you wrote about her. They brought tears to my eyes. Sorry I missed this earlier. I've been thinking of you and your Mom and was very sad to hear this.

*love & hugs for the Augie family*

12/27/2006 4:02 PM  
Blogger Bravie said...

I forgot to respond for Michelle. I read this to her and she was so touched that she was at a loss for words. She just cried and said it was sad and beautiful all in one.

12/28/2006 2:23 PM  
Blogger Coco said...

Oh, Augie, I am so sorry.

Your mom sounds like such a great person, and she raised a great person.

Lots of love.

12/28/2006 2:59 PM  
Blogger Paul said...

Very sorry for your loss, Augie. God rest her soul and comfort you in this difficult time.

12/29/2006 8:32 PM  
Blogger Silvergirl said...

Augie, Vera sounds like she had a great life and she certainly was a wonderful wife and mother. Thank you for sharing your tribute to her.

I'm sending many {{{Hugs}}} to you and your family and my sincere condolences.

I also, like Puffy, like the V names.

12/30/2006 1:01 PM  
Blogger Mom2BJM(Amy) said...

Hugs again to you, Augie!

It was nice to read about your mom- what a lady she was! She obviously was a fighter!

1/02/2007 12:03 AM  
Blogger Puffy said...

It's a bitter irony that Yvonne DeCarlo died shortly after your mom died.

1/11/2007 9:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home