Sunday, November 19, 2006

The Most Perfect Gift Ever!

After years of trying, I do believe I have found the perfect gift for my brother. I am beyond excited for him to open it up on Christmas morning.

Background: My brother is almost exactly two years older than me. Even though we were both born in August, he is a Virgo and I am a Leo. Two more opposite people could not have been born of the same two parents.

He is logical, anal-retentive, meticulous. He must read the directions thoroughly before beginning anything. Everything must be "by the book". I think it's from his Army days.

I am emotional, impulsive, somewhat disorganized. I dive head first into things without reading the directions first. Heck, I'll make up my own rules to games. Why not? Pissing off the Rule Followers is fun!

He was a Geography major in college, with a minor in History. He knew from day one he wanted a career in the Army. He made Captain fairly quickly.

I was a Special Education major and never taught one day.

He's the family rock. I'm the family flake.

He is a fantastic dad, husband, and son and I am very proud of him. Even if he is anal beyond belief. *grin*

So, back to Christmas gifts.

I got him this Genographic Project kit (<--- click here) from National Geographic. It comes with a swab kit that he will use to gather DNA samples from his mouth, then send back for analysis. This process will test his Y chromosome and will show where his (our) paternal side originated from. It will also show a migration track. Should be interesting because my dad is half Cherokee with some Irish thrown in--and who knows what else.

I know he will be excited. YAY! If I have enough Christmas money left over I'm going to order a kit for myself so we can track our maternal side too. The project is a 5 year effort. National Geographic hopes to have over 100,000 participants.

So, have you ever found The.Most.Perfect.Gift?

18 Comments:

Blogger arkie said...

That? is such a cool idea!

btw, me likey the new avatar!

11/19/2006 10:41 AM  
Blogger Aislinn Sirk said...

Christmas.

Right, maybe I should think about that.

11/19/2006 12:15 PM  
Blogger yvonne said...

Thanks Arkie!

Yes Bob. You might want to think about Christmas. A little bit, at least.

11/19/2006 3:40 PM  
Blogger Mom2BJM(Amy) said...

That sounds kinda cool! We usually just wing it with Christmas gifts.. sometimes it's tough to figure out what someone would REALLY like!
Good for you!

11/19/2006 5:46 PM  
Blogger yvonne said...

Hi mom! Good to see you over here.

I usually do wing it, but this present is so perfect I had to crow about it. :-)

11/20/2006 6:50 AM  
Blogger Breezy said...

How cool!

11/20/2006 8:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very cool.

I have no special gifts planned except a train table for Conner.

I will assemble it on Christmas Eve. I will not read the directions and then half way through I will probably cry and go back and read them.

11/20/2006 8:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wait, I forgot. I don't cry these days. So I will probably just spew a few curse words.

11/20/2006 8:47 AM  
Blogger Swami said...

That is so cool, Augie! Will you get one for me too? Dang. I would love to get that!

You have to report back when your brother finally gets his results on whether or not he thought it was complete and well-done. Then I might get a kit for myself!

11/20/2006 10:15 AM  
Blogger Bravie said...

What a cool gift. *smooooooch*

11/20/2006 11:28 AM  
Blogger Glowie said...

what a great find, augie! sounds perfect.

11/20/2006 5:28 PM  
Blogger Coco said...

that is FABULOUS! I would get a kit for Eric if I had the money.

11/20/2006 8:50 PM  
Blogger kim (weltek) said...

I saw that someone posted about that on OT once. It looks pretty cool. You are a smaahtie to think about that as a Christmas gift! He'll love it!

11/21/2006 4:14 PM  
Blogger yvonne said...

I got it in the mail on Tuesday. I'm uber excited!

11/22/2006 7:42 AM  
Blogger ~Nutz said...

That is such a great gift!!!

...but


...what will you ever do to top it? *grin*

11/22/2006 10:35 AM  
Blogger Lasann said...

Gobble gobble

11/22/2006 10:42 AM  
Blogger ~Nutz said...

Have a happy Thanksgiving!!!

11/22/2006 11:11 AM  
Blogger lights said...

Pissing off the Rule Followers is fun!

Sorry, I stopped reading after this. :P

*pokes head back into Augies blog to wish her Happy Thanksgiving*

11/22/2006 7:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home