Sunday, September 17, 2006

Huh?

There is an article in today's paper regarding the dress code for high schools in my county. They have gotten "stricter" this year because of what kids were wearing last year.

What where they wearing last year? Spaghetti strap tank tops, pajama bottoms (pajama bottoms?!?!?!?), midriff baring shirts, t-shirts with foul sayings or inuendos, and those damn droopy butt baggy ass pants/jeans/shorts.

WARNING! Here is where I show my age!

In my day *snort* we NEVER EVER would have bared our midriffs, worn pajama bottoms (pajama bottoms?!?!?!?), or t-shirts with crude sayings/logos. And? Who lets their kid wear this crap to school? Yes, I know a lot of parents leave for work before their kids leave for school, but even if my mother had not been at home when the bus came I would NEVER EVER have dressed like that.

Pajama bottoms?!?!?!?!?

I know I don't have kids, so I really don't have a grasp on the battles parents have these days, but come on! Pajama bottoms?!?!?!?!? Heck, a nice pair of sweatpants is better than pajama bottoms.

My generations' biggest battle of the dress code? Getting permission to wear jeans. Of course my generation didn't wear seat belts or bicycle helmets, only got 3 broadcast channels on television, and talked on corded telephones. What did we know? Perhaps if my 16 year old self had been allowed to wear pajama bottoms to school I would have tried. Of course that would have meant I would have needed to knock my stay-at-home mother unconscious every morning so I could escape the house wearing said pajama bottoms.

Signed,
Old Fogey Augie

15 Comments:

Blogger momma said...

Don't feel old, Augie. I don't understand it either and I'm probably one of the younger ones in blogland. And I have kids.

9/17/2006 9:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't understand it either. There are two girls in my neighborhood who are 13 and 14. The things they wear blow my mind. One of them was riding her bike last week showing her underwear. The other sits on the swing in her yard in skirts while five or six boys gather 'round. It's disgusting.

One girl's mother is a freaking parole officer.

I am so grateful everyday that I don't have a girl.

9/17/2006 9:34 AM  
Blogger yvonne said...

Thanks Momma and Boo. I like to think I'm fairly young in spirit inspite of my "paper age", but I just don't understand the younger generation. I wish they understood the concept of first impression and personal dignity.

*sigh*

9/17/2006 10:12 AM  
Blogger Puffy said...

*shows age*
We had to wear dresses or skirts. Once a year we had one day when we could wear slacks or pants. Tennis shoes or sneakers were only for P.E. or gym class.

9/17/2006 4:12 PM  
Blogger Glowie said...

pajama bottoms?

9/17/2006 7:12 PM  
Blogger mm said...

I've seen the pajama bottoms and even slippers, on the girls walking past my house in the morning, on the way to the JR. High.

*shakes head* They look so ridiculous, and don't even realize it.

9/18/2006 3:06 AM  
Blogger Monstah said...

I disagree. You are not showing your age. You are showing your sense of good taste.

My children would not be allowed to leave the house unless they were properly dressed. Period.

9/18/2006 8:01 AM  
Blogger Bravie said...

We were out somewhere on Saturday and I said to Michelle "I'm old becuase if that girl was my daughter, she never would have left the house this morning.

9/18/2006 9:32 AM  
Blogger kim (weltek) said...

I'm right there with you (well, but I'm younger...hehe!).

I find myself understand school uniforms a lot more as I get older.

I've seen adults walk around & go shopping with pajama bottoms on. Is it THAT hard to put on real pants?
Or even running pants would be a little nicer. Pajamas are meant for home only.

9/18/2006 10:47 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

If I could, I would wear pajama bottoms all the time. But I don't. I guess because of society (old fogeys) looking down on the pj bottoms. What makes real pants so much better, huh? Just because they have a zipper? Oooh! Fancy zippered pants! You're NOTHING compared to my lovley, soft, comfie pj pants. I scoff at you, fancy zippered pants! *scoffs*

*whispers* I think I did wear my pj bottoms to class once or twice in college.

9/18/2006 2:01 PM  
Blogger Immunegirl said...

Well....I guess it depends on how you define pajama bottoms. I have yoga pants that I wear as pajama bottoms that I think other people would consider slightly less casual than sweatpants, so I could see someone wearing them. Not actual meant to be pajama pants, mind you, but pants that I wear as pajamas. The other stuff I definitely don't get.

9/18/2006 2:02 PM  
Blogger Immunegirl said...

PS...My minion (now a sophomore) often wears sweatpants to lab. In fact, I think I have only seen him in sweatpants or shorts. I try to convince myself that they don't make jeans for people that fantastically tall and that he is just a poor, underpriviledged minion who cannot find jeans in his size. It mostly works to keep me from getting offended.

9/18/2006 2:05 PM  
Blogger yvonne said...

LOL@ Jen!

*waves to iggy*

*sits next to Kim and MM on the NO PJs IN PUBLIC couch*

Monsty! Given any haircuts lately? *grin*

*hugs to Glow Pop*

9/18/2006 6:38 PM  
Blogger Swami said...

A couple of weeks ago I gave thanks to the fashion gods because I think the bare-midriff/ muffin top look is finally dying a well-deserved death. May that look RIP (Rot in Perpetuity).

Pyjama bottoms don't bother me. It is every teenagers inalienable right to look stupid in the name of trendy fashion.

I do not like shirts with offensively sexist slogans, but recognize that these are sometimes ironic. They should be banned from schools for sure.

I too and an old fogey who had to wear skirts to school. I would die laughing at the sight of my old HS uniform (plaid, pleated skirt, white blouse & red blazer or sweater.)

I don't like boys in droopy, boxer-bearing pants either, but I am an old Liberal. So long as their T&A are covered in public kids can dress ae stupidly as they want!

9/19/2006 1:27 PM  
Blogger Schnookie said...

I have seen people wear their pajama bottoms on airplanes. You'd never catch me doing that but I am envious. How comfy would that be?

9/19/2006 3:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home