Friday, September 29, 2006

For Breezy

Snapdragons
I plant snapdragons every year because they are gorgeous, delightful, sturdy, and fun (yes, I still make them snap like I did as a little girl). Snapdragons were my grandmother Mary's favorite flower, which is another reason I plant them. My grandmother Mary was the most awesome person I have ever known. She was kind, gentle, loving, strong--the rock of her family. She was widowed in 1941 at the age of 43. She had 10 children to raise, the youngest was 3 months old. She did it with no help from her family or my grandfather's family. It was rough going but she managed to get through the rough times and kept her children safe and loved, and sent them into the world as fine, upstanding citizens (corny, I know--but it's true--my aunts and uncles (my mom included) were/are all terrific people).

Why am I posting snapdragons for Breezy? Because Breezy reminds me a lot of my grandmother Mary. Quiet. Determined. Strong. A rock. That's our Breezy.

Happy birthday Breezy. You are awesome and I love you so much. I wish for you a year of new beginnings and happiness because you certainly deserve it.

9 Comments:

Blogger Breezy said...

*sobs* I said NO crying at work!

*sniff* Thankyou Augie. Those are beautiful. *sniff* I love you my sistah.

9/29/2006 4:43 PM  
Blogger Bravie said...

What a beautiful post, Augie.
*smooch to you*
And *smooch* to our Breezy.

9/29/2006 4:49 PM  
Blogger momma said...

What a beautiful post for Breezy. It is quite fitting.

*smooches* to Augie and Breezy

9/29/2006 8:14 PM  
Blogger yvonne said...

*group hug*

9/29/2006 9:18 PM  
Blogger ~Nutz said...

Oh what a great story about your grandmother! ...and a beautiful homage to Breezy.

*joins group hug*

9/30/2006 10:20 AM  
Blogger Glowie said...

awwww. That's beautiful, honey bunch. *joins group hug*

9/30/2006 2:34 PM  
Blogger Schnookie said...

Does this mean Breezy has dragon breath?

Beautiful story about your grandmother Augie and wonderful of you to post this for Breezy.

*joins in group hug*

9/30/2006 3:52 PM  
Blogger kim (weltek) said...

Lovely sentiments and lovely flowers. *smooch*

10/02/2006 9:52 AM  
Blogger lights said...

*sniff* I remember my Grandma's garden was filled with snapdragons too. This year I bought some snapdragon seeds but never got around to planting them.

My Grandma, Isabel, was a pretty amazing woman too Augie. She was as you describe your Grandma. Kind, gentle, loving and strong. I was thinking of her as I read about momma's Grandma earlier. I still remember the day she died. I had to go find my sister at the college between my tears. As we drove home the song "Spirit in the Sky" came on the radio. We both got great comfort from that song and every time I hear it I think of Grandma. She died in 1987 and I miss her so much.

Next year I'm planting those snapdragons.

And happy belated birthday to our snappybreezydragon! *smooch*

10/03/2006 6:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home