Sunday, May 21, 2006

Road trip!

Just came back from a very quick road trip. My nephew graduated from high school this past Saturday so we drove to Georgia for the big day. For the most part I like road trips. A few thoughts...

--This is just about the best time of year to do a road trip. It was absolutely gorgeous the whole way from Maryland to Georgia. Gorgeous. Everything was green and in bloom. The summer heat hasn't kicked in yet and made everything brown, dry, and funky. Yay for spring!

--Kudos to the states of Maryland, Virginia, North Carolina, and South Carolina for their wildflower programs. They have planted tons of wildflowers along the interstates, mainly in the medians, and it was just fantastic. There was one particular field of red poppies in North Carolina that took my breath away.

--Thankfully most of the rest stops along I-95 and I-85 (my travels this weekend) are fairly clean and well kept, inside and out.

--I love to check out license plates when I travel. We used to do this when I was little and we traveled as a family. My parents were big travelers and we were always getting in the car and going somewhere. Augie to self: Ooooo! Montana! Wonder why they were in Gaffney, SC?

--Speaking of Gaffney, South Carolina...they have the coolest water tower. It's shaped like a peach. A giant peach. It even has a leaf coming off the stem. Love it.

--Snacks are vital for a good road trip. Vital! In my opinion, Goldfish are the perfect road trip snack. The bags don't take up much room, the crackers don't leave gunk on your fingers (like Cheetos, Doritos, or even greasy potato chips), and they are small enough to shove a whole bunch in your mouth without spillage. Avoiding spillage is important when chowing down in a car. Pringles are another good road trip snack, but this time it was Goldfish. We had peanut M&M's too. Also perfect.

--There is NO GOOD TIME to travel from DC to Richmond, or from Richmond to DC. That drive along I-95 is the suckiest suck drive in the history of all suckdom, any time of the day or night. I.Hate.That.Drive. 90 miles of sheer torture.

--The ONLY GOOD TIME to drive through Atlanta is at 5:30am on a Sunday. The ABSOLUTE WORST TIME to drive through Atlanta? 5:30pm on a Friday. ACK!

--iPODS are perfect for road trips. 900+ of my favorite songs...put it on shuffle and every song brought a smile to my face. I love my iPOD so very much. And it's pink. So cool, I'm telling you (the iPOD, not me. I am so not cool.)

--Slower Traffic Keep Right This sign was along the highway in every state we were in. Why don't people pay attention to it? Why does some Barney need to drive less than the speed limit whilst hogging the left lane and impeding the flow of traffic--especially my flow of traffic? Why? WHY?

--Road trips are fun, but boy is it always good to get back home.

17 Comments:

Blogger Coco said...

You are cool. *smooch*

At least, to me, the queen of Geekdom, you are cool.

5/21/2006 9:32 PM  
Blogger yvonne said...

You know something, Coco? Anyone who has steel cage rasslin' battles is indeed cool.

*high fives fellow rasslin' babe*

5/22/2006 8:02 AM  
Blogger Bravie said...

Glad you had a good trip. I wish I could eat some goldfish. It's not on the diet. *pout*

5/22/2006 8:40 AM  
Blogger Glowie said...

Yay! I'm very glad you had a good trip, honey bunch.

*smoooooooooch*

I could not drive that distance. huh-uh. No way, man. *shudder*

5/22/2006 9:08 AM  
Blogger Breezy said...

I love love love the wild flowers in the median there. Love them! *pout* I miss driving down to NC to see my bro.

*smooch* Glad you had a nice roadtrip.

5/22/2006 9:26 AM  
Blogger Aislinn Sirk said...

Coco stole my line, so I'll just *whack* and take it back.

Augie, You are super-cool!

5/22/2006 9:52 AM  
Blogger Schnookie said...

You drove thru ATlanta on Friday at 5:30 pm? *gigglesnort* Poor poor Augie.

Wait a minute! You drove thru Atlanta on Friday at 5:30 pm and you didn't drop by? Bad Bad Augie!

Seriously, I love the states that plant the wild flowers on the highways. So pretty.

Glad you made it safely home and so glad the weather was nice for his graduation.

5/22/2006 12:18 PM  
Blogger Zombs said...

I love road trips! I love Stuckey's! We don't have places like Stuckey's and Dairy Queens here so any trip off of Long Island we stop at those roadside places. I will buy a pecan log even if I don't like them!

Once my friends and I went to Mepmphis and Graceland and we bought those barrel of monkeys. We left a monkey in each state we visited and at different attractions along the way to mark that we had been there.

5/22/2006 12:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have noticed those red flowers along the interstate lately too, and you are correct. They are beautiful. However, I did not know they were planted. Silly Boo thought they magically appeared. Seriously.

The drive between DC and Richmond. Absolute pure Hell!!!! You should have taken a brief detour (about 2 miles brief) around Exit 86. Just sayin'. :)

Actually I will be in DC next month possibly and definitely in July.

Atlanta's stop lights suck at 5 a.m. I was the only car there and still had to wait at least a minute at each one.

5/22/2006 5:21 PM  
Blogger momma said...

Yay! Augie had an adventure too!

When do I get to have an adventure?

5/22/2006 10:09 PM  
Blogger HistoryDetective said...

I always love driving through Atlanta at about midnight. It's such a beautiful cityscape after dark. I'm glad you had a good trip!

5/23/2006 9:04 AM  
Blogger Coco said...

Okay, the words 'pecan log' made me laugh. They sound rude.

*is about twelve years old*

5/23/2006 10:18 AM  
Blogger kim (weltek) said...

Are you suggesting we ditch work & roadtrip today? Count me in!

I like the new Goldfish flavors. yum!

5/23/2006 11:05 AM  
Blogger ~Nutz said...

Woo hoo! Road trip!

I call shotgun!

*shoves Goldfish into mouth*

Cheesecake is not a perfect road trip food. *grin*

5/23/2006 11:09 AM  
Blogger Schnookie said...

*giggles with Coco*

Those pecan logs look like cat poop rolled in litter.

5/23/2006 11:48 AM  
Blogger Zombs said...

Nookie it is all about the poop with you isn't it?

I? Will be mature here. It is after all Augie's blog!

*sips tea* (in a tea cup!)

5/24/2006 8:48 AM  
Blogger Lasann said...

Those red flowers are poppies. I stopped and gathered some seeds one year in virginia. I planted them and I have red poppies in my yard!

I could have sworn that I posted to this before *boggle*.

I do the try to guess the license plate state. Some states have so many different plates anymore.

5/31/2006 3:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home