Sunday, February 05, 2006

Budget Update

I have considered all of your great suggestions and am slowly but surely getting on the budget track. This past Thursday was payday. Last week I logged onto the DFAS website (Defense Finance and Accounting Service -- for all you non-Department of Defense employee types) and allocated money to go directly into my savings. It's not a lot to begin with, but I will be upping it considerably once I get my promotion in April. Besides, out of sight, out of mind, and I won't spend it if it is not in my checkbook.

My accountant (me) has given me exactly $100 to spend as I wish, on whatever I wish, until next payday, which is in two weeks. This caused a huge argument between us, but my stupid accountant won. Lord I hate her. A lot. She's mean. And very bossy.

Everything else has been designated for specific catagories: food, utilities, cats, car maintanence, car insurance, credit card. My first goal is to pay off my Visa bill, which if I am dedicated to this budget will happen in May. Once Mr. Visa is off my back, I will put the same monthly payment into savings.

Focusing on the goal of making a huge down payment on a new car this fall is so far keeping me going. How I'll feel next weekend when I will probably be down to $3.50 of spending money that has to last one more week will be another story. Stay tuned.

*sigh*

10 Comments:

Blogger Breezy said...

Budgets suck, but they're needed. Right now I'm paying as much as I can on the credit cards, I want them gone.

I've been thinking about doing the little suggestion that was in the For Me mag. They said at the end of the week, take all the ones out of your purse and put them in a piggy bank. This should add up over time. *shrug*

2/05/2006 9:29 AM  
Blogger ~Nutz said...

Normally I would say fire that accountant! She's being a beeyotch! ...but she really does have your best interests at heart, dear!

Just think of that brand new car you're going to have!

2/05/2006 9:33 AM  
Blogger Bravie said...

My budgeting is still okay. Just okay. I'm stillpaying my bills ontime. Last month I was able to put a little in my savings account. I don't know if I can do that this month though. We'll see.

2/05/2006 9:43 AM  
Blogger yvonne said...

I like the idea about the ones, Breezy.

Another thing about my beyotch accountant? She says Keith Urban is her boyfriend. *rolls eyes* I told her, "No way, ya skanky ho bag. He's MY boyfriend".

I really do hate her.

*grin*

2/05/2006 10:28 AM  
Blogger Bravie said...

I bet Star Jones has a really good accountant. Maybe you could call her. Or Tom Cruise. I bet he has a good one too.

2/05/2006 10:40 AM  
Blogger Monstah said...

...or even David Carusso maybe.

2/05/2006 3:31 PM  
Blogger lights said...

Yay Augie! For me, the automatic transfer to savings really works well. Like you said, out of sight, out of mind. It's like when you buy a car and suddenly have a monthly car payment. It only hurts the first month. After that it's just another bill to be paid.

Last spring when Dave lost his job I thought I'd have to stop the transfers but I was worried that if I did I wouldn't start again. I kept them going through the entire time knowing that the money was still mine, just not as accessible.

Good luck with Mr Visa. He can be a real prick.

2/06/2006 8:13 AM  
Blogger Schnookie said...

Good for you Augie. I allow myself $100 also. You will manage to make it last. Brown bag your lunches if you don't already do so.

We do the dollar bill thing also. Well, at least DH does. It's amazing how much you get when the jar gets full.

Good luck sweetie!

You can DO IT!

2/06/2006 9:20 AM  
Blogger momma said...

I tried to reply Saturday but blogger was having major issues. Now I don't remember what I was going to say.

2/06/2006 9:22 AM  
Blogger Chrissy (woe) said...

Just popped in to give you a *smooch*

I may have missed a "ways to save" list but I just put all my change in this 3 drawered jewelry box I have. I get alot of change at work and instead of cashing it in, it goes in the drawers. I manage to put about 100 bucks a month in my savings in just change alone. It really does add up. I like the singles idea, too, but I get soooo many singles and recently they have been going into the gas tank of my new Bronco. Gas is spose to drop by at least a dime next week tho, YAY!

Love ya

2/09/2006 12:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home