Wednesday, August 31, 2005

A respite

The news hasn't been great this week, and I needed a break from ugly images and sad news. So, I thought I'd post pictures I just took around the yard.

Petunias in the backyard. These are Wave petunias and I highly recommend them. They spread fast, look great, and take the hot summer sun like a trooper. The picture is not the best, just a tad bit out of focus, but I like it. I'm feeling a tad bit out of focus, so it fits.

The lime green plant in the foreground is a Sweet Potato Vine. I love the contrast between the deep purple of the petunias and the almost neon green of the the vine.

White and salmon impatiens, with blue salvia along the back deck. I wanted a red, white, and blue theme, and the salmon impatiens were the closest I could get to red for plants that spend almost the whole day in the sun. The cute little guy is my Dad's cat, Bennie. The gawdawful fence in the background is the neighbor's 8 foot high illegal fence--which is a story for another day.

This is lantana. I just love, love, love lantana. Next year I'm planting it everywhere.

13 Comments:

Blogger Bravie said...

If I send you Sees candy, will you send me sweet potatoes?

*smooch*

p.s. what an ugly fence. Why don't you get rid of that thing?

8/31/2005 11:56 PM  
Blogger yvonne said...

1. Sweet Potato vines do not produce sweet potatoes. Not sure why they call it that, but they only produce leaves.

2. It's the neighbor's fence. I think there are laws against destroying your neighbor's property. I think. :-)

9/01/2005 7:21 AM  
Blogger Glowie said...

Love the pictures. Can you please come to my house next year and help me plant pretty flowers? Thanks. *smooch*

9/01/2005 8:09 AM  
Blogger Bravie said...

I want sweet potato biscuits.

destroy it in the middle of the night when nobody is looking. You want, I can drive my train through it?

9/01/2005 8:45 AM  
Blogger Breezy said...

Augie, you're supposed to dead-head those Waves.

Hey did you know? If you plant Tidal Waves really close together they make a hedge? I'm doing that next year. *grin*

Great pics! *smooch*

9/01/2005 8:48 AM  
Blogger Schnookie said...

Thank you for the lovely pics Augie. You have a beautiful garden.

9/01/2005 9:38 AM  
Blogger momma said...

Beautiful!!!

9/01/2005 11:19 AM  
Blogger yvonne said...

Thanks everyone! *smooch*

Glowie -- I would love to come to your house next year and help you with your planting.

Bravie -- In 2003 Hurricane Isabel blew down a good part of the ugly fence. Crazy Neighbor just rebuilt it. The best part? Crazy Neighbor hasn't lived in the house since 2000. The house is empty. And he won't sell it. *shrug*

Breezy -- Of course I know I'm supposed to dead head. I also know I'm supposed to dust, but does that mean it gets done? Nope!

9/01/2005 7:52 PM  
Blogger arkie said...

After you're finished helping glowie, can you come help me?
*smooch*

9/01/2005 8:05 PM  
Blogger Bravie said...

I used to be a dead head. But then Jerry Garcia died and it wasn't as much fun.

9/01/2005 8:34 PM  
Blogger Silvergirl said...

Lovely, lovely pics, Augie! I love flowers. I should take some pictures tomorrow of my giant zinnia and the marigolds around my mailbox. I need to weed this weekend, as I haven't had the time lately or it's been too stinking hot.

Love the sweet potato vine, too. Do you buy the plants at a store or nursery?

9/03/2005 2:16 AM  
Blogger yvonne said...

Silvergirl -- I get my plants at both a nursery and the local stores. The sweet potato vines and petunias were from Home Depot, for example.

I love zinnias!

9/03/2005 7:37 AM  
Blogger Monstah said...

Very nice Augie. Very beautiful. I wish I had your gardening talent. MIL is another talented gardener and watching her take such joy in that one activity is refreshing.

We are in big time need for some color in our front yard. We have four dogwood trees that are beautiful in the spring but as you know, they have short bloom life. We are going to meet with a landscaper next spring to help us map out a plan for bloom and color in different parts of the yard year round.

Your flowers are always so wonderfully perfect.

9/06/2005 7:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home